Presented by the Breastfeeding Coalition of Ventura County and hosted by Ventura County Public Health
Date: September 13, 2023
Time: 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Pacific Time
Cost: $30 Early Bird pricing through Sept. 8th, 2023. Price increases to $35 after Sept 8th.
Proceeds from this event go to support: The Breastfeeding Coalition of Ventura County is a Nonprofit 501(c)3 organization.
Understanding the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine’s Protocol #36
Facilitated by Katrina B. Mitchell, MD, IBCLC, PMH-C, FACS
Dr. Mitchell is a board-certified general surgeon, fellowship-trained breast surgical oncologist, and IBCLC whose practice includes the care and surgery of women with breast cancer and benign breast disease. Dr Mitchell also treats maternal complications of lactation, and has a special interest in pregnancy and postpartum breast cancer. She lives in Santa Barbara, California and her practice is at the Ridley Tree Cancer Center at the Sansum Clinic.
Course Agenda and Objectives:
5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Mastitis Spectrum ABM Protocol 2022
6:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Questions and Answers
- Review plugging to abscess spectrum as inflammatory and hypervascular in etiology. Addressing implicit bias, we will cover physical exam findings on all Fitzpatrick Skin Types and understand that all types develop erythema and cellulitis.
- Understand early supportive interventions to resolve inflammation such as ice, anti-inflammatory medication, and therapeutic ultrasound before progressing to antibiotics
- Describe best practices for treatment such as eliminating excessive pumping and treating hyperlactation/oversupply
- Review interventions that cause worsened inflammation and swelling, such as massaging a lactating breast and causing microvascular injury and edema
- Understand features worrisome for lactational phlegmon or abscess, and when to refer to a breast surgeon for intervention.
*Payments for large groups can be arranged by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org one week before the event, a link to the zoom webinar and handouts will be made available to those who register. For those who cannot view the live webinar, a recording will be available for viewing for 6 weeks.
Target Audience: Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses, Lactation Consultants, Lactation Educators, La Leche Leaders, Health Educators, Doulas, Breastfeeding Peer Counselors, Dietitians, Nutritionists, Midwives, Speech & Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, CPHW’s, and others interested in supporting families in the maintenance of breastfeeding.
- For Nurses: Ventura County Public Health is an approved provider by the BRN, Provider Number #12987 for 2 CEU’s.
- For Lactation Consultants: CERP’s have been applied for with the IBCLE.
Questions? Please email email@example.com