While you’re reading this — it’s 6:30 a.m. or 6:30 p.m., you can bet our team is hard at work finishing up details for the 2023 Virtual California Breastfeeding Summit. The Summit kicks off tomorrow morning and goes for three action-packed days of research, education, skill-building, advocacy, networking and collaboration. Oh…and a LOT of fun.
For the California Breastfeeding Coalition, and lactation advocates throughout the Golden State, the Summit is our Super Bowl. Our staff and planning committee spend all year planning and preparing for the state’s premier lactation-focused professional development event.
One look at the event agenda, and you can see the care that has gone into programming: you will see research presentations, case studies on what’s working right now, discussions of health equity and maternal health and wellbeing, clinical presentations, community-based solutions explored, resources examined — and that’s just the plenary sessions!
Skill-building workshops, which take place each afternoon, include:
- BreastSide Manner for Lactation Professionals
- So, You Want to Be a Preceptor?
- Lactation Support for Patients with Large Breasts/Chest
- Off The Charts! Effortless Charting and Billing Practices in Outpatient Lactation Setting
- Putting Babies Before Business: The Why and How to Implement the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes in Hospitals
- Paid Leave & Workplace Accommodations for New Parents, Pregnant Workers, and Caregivers
- Cannabis: Harm Reduction Counseling for Lactating Parents
- Exploring Lactation and Infant Feeding Experiences among Black Families in NICU Settings
- Lactation Action Plan: Nurses and Lactation Consultants working together for breastfeeding success
- Nipple and Breast Pain in Lactation
And let’s not forget Advocacy Day, a half-day of legislative visits scheduled to help elected officials understand the importance and value of lactation-supportive policies and practices.
Last Call Registration ends today. As of right now, we have more than 600 attendees registered and over 100 people registered to attend legislative visits.
2023 CBC Summit Sponsors and Exhibitors
The California Breastfeeding Summit would not be possible without the generous support of sponsors and exhibitors who recognize the importance of protecting, promoting and supporting lactation in the Golden State.
This year, we are grateful to First 5 California for underwriting a portion of the event A/V costs to ensure the best virtual experience for our attendees. First 5’s purpose is to help California’s children receive the best possible start in life, which aligns with the mission, vision and values of the California Breastfeeding Coalition.
Mothers’ Milk Bank San Jose, a longtime bronze-level sponsor, is a steadfast supporter and collaborative partner in creating a culture of human milk feeding in our state. Their mission is to help babies thrive by making donated human milk safe and accessible.
UC San Diego Extended Studies Lactation and Perinatal Education is returning this year as a sponsor. The university-based clinical program educates, protects and supports mother/infant lactation care.
We’re proud to welcome the Motivating Interdisciplinary Lactation Knowledge (MILK) Research Lab out of UC San Francisco as a first-time sponsor of the CBC Summit. The MILK Lab’s vision is that all Black women and birthing people, and their families will have access to high quality human milk feeding — breastfeeding and chestfeeding — resources, lactation support, and donor human milk.
In addition to the sponsors above, CBC Summit attendees will also be able to meet the following exhibitors in our virtual exhibit area:
- California WIC Association
- California WIC Program
- Human Milk Connection Foundation
- Hygeia Breast Pumps
- Kick It! California (tobacco cessation)
- Lactation Education Resources
- Riverside University Health System, Nutrition and Health Promotion, Grow Our Own Lactation Consultant Course
These organizations and their support have been critical in making the CBC Summit a quality professional development experience for lactation-supportive professionals, researchers, providers, students, and advocates.